Colin reflects on his experiences as a student teacher of secondary mathematics

Tuesday 18 November 2008

Short term thinking

I've been planning a lesson at a time (well, occasionally thinking about the one after too) but hadn't been keeping an eye on the big picture. So I'm suddenly running out of time to finish a chapter with S3. In fact, I won't get it finished within the allotted time and am going to have to plan to fit the rest of it into a sensible time without rushing..... To be fair, the classroom teacher admitted she'd not been focussing on this either. But my lesson is to keep the overall timetable in sharper focus and plan a series of lessons, not just short term.
I did get some other very useful feedback though, which I'll try to put into practice: structuring notes, telling them how to draw things, working examples more thoroughly. Back to that tiny chunks thing.

No comments: