Colin reflects on his experiences as a student teacher of secondary mathematics

Tuesday 9 December 2008

Oh dear

Just when I thought I was neginning to get the hang of this teaching thing..... along comes the lesson from hell to elbow me out of my incipient complacency. S3 again, doing statistics. But the problem is not the pupils. It's me. Just me. The whole me and nothing but the me. I'd moved them rapidly on to cumulative frequency curves as they were doing so well with frequency tables. So I dished out the graph paper and went merry through a worked example.Eerything was going swimmingly - the data was on a spreadsheet projected onto the interactive board, I'd pre-prepared two stages of the curve on the whiteboard (that got a laugh - I didn't even have to supply the "Here's one I prepared earlier" line, one of the pupils did that for me). So explained the purpose, did the median and added the upper and lower quartiles, checking all the while they were with me. When I got to the end, I set them onto another question and a single hand went up: "I don't get this...."
So I asked if anyone else was having problems. No response. I thought, "OK, if it's just Jason (name changed to protect the innnocent), that's a result. I'll go and help him while the others get on with the question."
Off I go to help Jason out. The conversation went something like this:
"So, where did I lose you?" (He's copied the curve beautifully by the way)
"Um, right at the start."
Oh.
"OK then I'll go through it again with you."
"Can I listen in too?" says one of his neighbours.
"Mmmmm. Me too please?" says another.
"And me...?"
Now I have the whole table involved. And when I finish there, I have to do the same thing at the next table.... you can guess the rest. Dammit.
Gonna have to do it over again tomorrow, with a simpler example. I'm going to do the curve for them though to save some time.

2 comments:

John Connell said...

Colin,

I have worked with, and been taught by, teachers who would nevr have had the success you just did, as described in this post. What success, you might say?

The success that lies in the fact that the kids felt comfortable telling you that they had not understood and that they were willing to ask you to explain it all again.

I have been in classrooms where it was plain to everyone but the class teacher that not a soul had understood what had just been taught - but not one of those souls was willing to stick their head above the parapet and admit the truth, for fear of the teacher's ire.

John
http://www.johnconnell.co.uk/blog/

Col said...

Thanks for that thought John. I hadn't looked at it that way. I find it hard to imagine present day pupils being too scared of the teacher to say they didn't understand. Too disinterested, bored or plain idle, perhaps, but scared hadn't impingedon my consciousness.