Colin reflects on his experiences as a student teacher of secondary mathematics

Sunday 7 December 2008

One week to go

Which, yes, clearly illustrates that I've been ignoring this place for a wee while. Put it down to conflicting interests. However, I may not have *posted* anything but I have extensive notes of things I was *intending* to post. And still may in some form or another. The road to hell and all that.
Anyway, I have four more days in school before Recall Day and then party time. Sorry, did I say "party time"? I meant independent study week and assignment 1... I think I've got the evidence I need for that little project. I've even got a theme. If I told you it was based on a best-selling business book from the 20th century would that give you any clues? Chocolate will be available to the first person to make a correct guess... (Copyright 2008 David Muir).
So today's objectives are:
* plan three lessons for tomorrow - I only have three (yay!) but they are lessons 1, 2 and 3 which I think represents cruel and unusual punishment for a student teacher. The first one is with my S5 Int 1 group, which I last saw lesson 6 on Friday.... what a marvel of timetabling that was. Actually I'll write something about S5 Int 1 classes separately.
* create two worksheets, for S2 and S5. The S5 one is no big deal - they are doing speed, distance and time so this is a case of makign up a variety of questions. S2 however are really struggling with areas of composite shapes, which means I have to fight with OpenOffice to put together a worksheet with appropriate shapes looking approximately right. Sounds simple. Isn't.
* type up a couple more sections for my portfoliio. Rather stupidly, I'd dismissed this a few weeks ago as reasonably straightforward and put it to the back of my mind. I then became suddenly more focussed when I had a tutor visit looming and realised I had to get something down on paper and printed out. I am an obsessive note-taker (former journalist.... it's a hard habit to break) so it's not like I don't have the material. It's just not in a suitably structured form.
* walk the dogs, with my son. Beautiful crisp, cold day. Dry, yippee!

1 comment:

David said...

Is the business book The Dummies Guide to Teaching?

Also, I like the last objective. Cols, crisp days are infinitely preferable to wet windy days for dog walking!