Colin reflects on his experiences as a student teacher of secondary mathematics

Thursday 11 December 2008

You want to know what's worrying me most right now?

First placement is over. Had the Tutor Assessed Visit. Got the school report filed. Got most of the work done on the portfolio that I can. It's christmas. So what's to worry about?
I've got an assignment to write, that's what's worrying me. Here's why: the last time I wrote an actual essay (let alone a post-graduate assignment) was 1978. When I did English "O" level. Sure, since then I've done three "A" levels, picked up a degree and written hundreds upon thousands of words while working as a journalist and in business. But the "A" levels were in maths and physics and the degree was in engineering, none of which were big on essays, even in exams. None required extensive writing and references and stuff like that. So the highest academic level at which I have submitted an essay is "O" level. 30 years ago. There. Had to get that off my chest.
Only one way to find out if I can do it, I guess.

2 comments:

Lois Lindemann said...

Hi Colin,

I remember being in exactly the same position when I trained as a maths teacher. I'd gone the O level, science/maths A level, engineering route. I'd also written oodles of stuff (although none of it was in any way interesting or exciting) when I worked in the furnace industry.

But actually, it was fine. The essays I had to write for my PGCE were discursive, but I was still basically summarising factual information, it's just that I could be a little more opinionated than in my previous employment. Since I had to read around the subject before I put pen to paper (yes, it was that long ago!) finding referneces wasn't bad either.

The only real downside, was that by the time I'd factored in time for reading, thinking/planning and the actual writing itself(probably the quickest of the three processes), essay writing took up a lot of time.

Good luck - hope you let us know how you get on!

Christine McIntosh said...

But you've left out something: you're blogging! So you're practising your writing in a way you never did when you were in essay-writing mode. And if you keep blogging once you're teaching, you will keep those skills honed as far too many teachers forget to do once the shades of the prison house ...oops! Delete that .. the timetable takes over!