Colin reflects on his experiences as a student teacher of secondary mathematics

Monday 26 January 2009

Induction day done

In the second placment school for the first time today. Like a good little pupil I remembered to bring in a copy of the Portfolio tasks for the second term so that I could begin thinking about them....

First impressions: good. Despite the school's size, the atmosphere was calm and most classes were quiet and on task. The noisiest class was S3, which came as no surprise after the experiences of last term. By and large the pupils looked, well, just like any other bunch of high school pupils I've ever seen. I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to say about Portfolio Task 11, which asks me to compare and contrast the pupils at each of my two placement schools. They dress alike, they talk alike. Given that the building interiors are near as dammit identical, the classes look pretty much interchangeable. Maybe that's today's first lesson: pupils are pupils wherever you go.

I enjoyed the day and am looking forward to getting my teeth stuck into teaching again. What slightly took me aback was how much "observation" I seem to be expected to do.... I was kind of expecting (hoping, even) to be thrown in at the deep end. I felt as if I was much further outside the circle of trust teaching-wise than I thought I ought to be. Don't they know I've done some of this before? I wonder if this is a common feeling. It's not great for one's confidence and self-esteem, that's for sure.

On a more positive note, Im in a department where at least in the S1/2 programme, they already have included the Curriculum for Excellence draft outcomes (though they are not explicitly linked to individual elements of the course yet), the programmes of work are more widely defined than by text book chapters and exercises, active learning is practised (at least by some teachers) and I might even be able to get access to the computer network.

No comments: