Colin reflects on his experiences as a student teacher of secondary mathematics

Tuesday 3 February 2009

What's the big idea for maths education?

The truth is.... there is no big idea. Just David Cameron launching another publicity stunt.

Apparently Vorderman's brief is to make maths education "more cheerful and populist". Exactly what that means, I do not pretend to know. But if all the world's educators-of-educators have never thought to explore this area, well, I'd be very surprised. Vorderman's great at mental arithmetic. Precisely how she could contribute meaningfully to this topic is beyond me. But what do I know? I'm only a maths teacher.....

2 comments:

David said...

I think the main thing she contributed to Countdown was that she was prettier than the host. Perhaps she is also prettier than most Maths teachers. :-)

Col said...

Can't argue with that. You reckon pupils would do better at maths if the teachers were prettier?